Thursday, October 6, 2011

Farewell to Steve Jobs

There are all kinds of great articles (and images) all over the Web paying tribute to Steve Jobs, and although I can't hope to be very original, I feel like I must join in. He blended technology and design in such an artful way to produce elegant products and services that let us focus on what we want to do, not how to do it.  We can only hope that his spirit (and products) will live on in others who will continue to innovate ... but maybe yell a little less.  


Some of my favorite statements (thanks to the Huffington Post, that provides a lot more): 
"Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas...I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."
-- 1994
"That's been one of my mantras -- focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
-- BusinessWeek interview, May 1998
"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish."
-- Stanford University commencement address, June 2005.

--written on a MacBook Pro ....

2 comments:

Maribelous said...

Hi Robin,
I too feel that I owe S Jobs something. The first computer I worked on was a Wang and that was difficult and arduous. A colleague later let me use her new Macintosh...what a difference it made!

Most of my career was spent with PCs but in the past year I got an iPad and it was so amazing I indulged and got an iMac. At home we have another 3 Apple products...

Jobs was innovative like so few people are today. I hope that those who will lead Apple will continue with Job's philosophy of focus and simplicity.

Rest in Peace
Maribel

Anonymous said...

Good and informational blog Honeymoon Tours India.